Wednesday, March 23, 2016

The 2015 Christmas Season


This Christmas was magical.  We did so many fun things that made it super memorable (it must have been memorable because I am writing this three months later and can still remember most everything!).  We started off the season with a tree cutting party with some friends.  The party included some tailgating, lots of kids to play with and a random Santa walking around giving out Halloween candy.  Brady was quick to ask "Mommy, why is that Santa handing out Halloween candy?  That is the wrong holiday".  My very logical child was not fooled and I could not help but giggle.








After tree cutting, we did a walk-through of some great christmas lights with 3D glasses this year.  It was a great techi version of one of our favorite activities.


After we got our tree home, we spent the next day decorating it.  The boys enjoying hanging all the ornaments, remembering their favorites, and fighting over them much like Rachel and I used to.  They did a great job hanging the ornaments all by themselves and I did not care one bit that our tree was completely lopsided.  Mostly I was just happy that Hank did not try to pluck off any ornaments with his teeth.






The boys and I decorated Christmas cookies and I let them go to town with the icing and sprinkles.  They loved it!  They are so darn independent and capable that these traditions are so much more fun now.



Christmas morning was also exciting.  The boys did not want to go to sleep and were so excited for Christmas day. I remember that feeling and was so glad to finally see it come through in the boys.  They rushed from their room the next morning and dove into the gifts.  They savored each item for about 1 minute and tore through the living room as fast as possible.  After everything was opened, they played for hours and enjoyed all of their toys.  We spent dinner with friends and it was the perfect end to a very nice Christmas.








I can't believe I almost forgot to include what is sure to be a McLean family story for years to come.  A few hours after all the presents were opened and everyone was focused on playing, Hank managed to get the kids toilet seat stuck around his neck.  He disappeared down the hall (apparently to drink the toilet water) and came back with a worried look in his eye, a whimper comping from his throat and a toilet seat as a necklace.  He came right over to me and basically asked for help in the clearest way he could.  Hank was worried and when I gave the seat a gentle tug and realized that it was not coming off, I was worried too!  Chris tried to work it off but Hank's head but his head is so gigantic that we soon decided it was best just to cut it off.  Out came the hacksaw and a few minutes later Hank was free.  I wish I could say this incident has deterred him from drinking toilet water, but Hank is a bit stubborn and toilet water is his thing.  No biggie, the boys are totally capable of using the regular seat and Hank's head is not quite that big (yet)!



Chris was off the rest of week and we spent the time hanging out together and just enjoying the Bay Area.  I alway long for the Christmas season and it goes so fast!  I don't want to wish time away, but I am already looking forward to next year.








No comments:

Post a Comment