Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Is there a monster at the end of this book?




When I was little, this was one of my favorite books.  I don't know if it is because I thought it was so clever that I knew that there was no monster at the end of the book even though Grover seemed so scared, or if it just happened to be one of those books that naturally resonated with my early dislike of the scary and the unknown.  As the days lead up to the boys' 1st birthday, I keep thinking about this book and wondering why I am feeling so much angst about them turning one.  Is it because I won't have "babies" anymore?  Is it because I finally feel like I "get" them and after age one they are toddlers, and to quote my friend Christine, " you should never negotiate with terrorists or toddlers" (if that does not scare you, what does?!)? Is it because potty training, weaning, and playing "pretend" are all things that scare the bejeezus out of me and as we move closer to their birthday, all these things become reality?  I really don't know what it is that is scaring me, but at some point last week, I pulled myself up by my mom jeans and decided I needed to have a different outlook about this birthday.  Nothing about them turning one is monstrous.  They are healthy vibrant boys that have endless energy and love to laugh.  We have many wonderful memories from this first year (thank goodness I wrote many of them down because my sleepy brain does not actually retain much).  Most importantly, we have many, many, many, many more chapters to write.  In this case, the unknown is the fun part and every day with these guys is like a little adventure.  This birthday is a celebration of the most difficult, wonderful, unexpected, joyous, scary, sleep deprived, loving year I could have ever imagined and I am so excited to celebrate with my monsters that are at the end of this story!

2 comments:

  1. Love this! So precious. I found myself mourning the passing of every stage, but also very excited for what's next. FYI, the newer versions of this book have star Elmo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Carrie! I lol at your pulling yourself up by your mom jeans! Do mom jeans even come in tall? Hee hee!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive