Friday, December 14, 2012

Things people say about twins

I wanted to sneak this post in before the year's end because I do not want to forget the funny/crazy things people say to you when you have twins.  A lot of twin moms complain that they can't go anywhere without people saying something about their babies, turning fast errands into long outings. While true, I made a conscience decision not to let the attention bother me.  I figured that seeing twin babies is always a special sight and people want to share their happiness.  Plus, I figure when the boys are 6 or 7- running around the store terrorizing people, I am not going to get the adoring looks and happy smiles I get now so I better enjoy the attention while it lasts. . .

The compliments and smiles have been endless.  I appreciate that others think my kids are as cute as I do!  People generally rush to open doors for me and make my life easier at the checkout counter.  The politeness has been so profound that during the few times I am out without the boys, I feel the difference in the way people treat me.

There are so many funny things that people have said to me over this last year.  I love when I see Chinese or Indian women with babies and their mothers/mother in laws in stores.  The Grandmother always stops and asks "are they twins?".  I say "yes", and they say "where's your mom".  Hummm, NY?!.  I say "she does not live here".  Them: "Do you have any help"?  Me "no".  Them: "[disappointing sounding] ohhh, you should get some help." and I swear they almost look like they want to jump ship and come home with me.

Often people will look at the boys and ask which is older.  They always think Brody is older because he is slightly bigger.  They point and say "Is he older [to Brody]" and I say "no" and they say "but he is so much bigger!!" as if I am defying physics.  I nod and say "I know, that's just the way it is sometimes".

Once a woman pointed to Brody and said "He has such a big belly.[pause]  He looks just like you".  Hummmm, not sure what to make of that.

People have pointed to Brady (without seeing Brody) and said,  "Gosh, he is your twin."  I say "no, he is his twin" and point to Brody.  I'm the only one who laughs.

Once a woman stopped me a said, "my husband says that twins are not double the work, it's squared".  I laughed and agreed.  When I relayed the exchange to Chris he complained that the math did not make sense, but I still think the sentiment is true!

Sometimes people ask me, while looking at my boys, if I have boy/girl twins.  I have never had the courage to ask which one they think is the girl.  This will always make me wonder. . .

I love when young guys comment on the twins because 9 times out of 10, it turns out they are a twin too!  Young males rarely tell you that your kids are very cute, but if they do, it is likely because they have an experience to share.  

Moms of twins often say hi- confessing they too are part of the twin club.  The first thing they say after seeing the boys are less than a year old is that it gets easier.  I always appreciate their honesty and their acknowledgement that the first year is really hard.

The other day the four of us were at Costco.  We left the store and while walking to the car, Chris and I noticed that they did not charge us for a couple of items.  We walked back to the store to pay for these things and the guy at the customer service counter said that he was surprised they missed these items as the checkout people are usually pretty good and the people at the door hardly ever miss anything.  Chris pointed to the boys and said "we have twins, people often get distracted and miss things with us".  It really could not be more true.  Whether we are walking around the store with the boys in the over-sized carts at Costco, pushing them in their tandem stroller,  or wearing them in matching Bjorns, they are unbearably cute and I love that it brings a smile to to many peoples faces!







2 comments:

  1. very cute! I even heard your asian/indian accent in my head as I read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure I have said some things to friends and strangers of twins myself. I feel the attention when out with Emerson (the cutest I think is from the elderly women). So, I can imagine the attention you get with twins. I love the picture of them in their stroller sleeping. So cute that they are tipped toward each other and their heads are together. Such good buddies!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive