Sunday, December 15, 2013

I like to eat, eat, eat...


After finding out we were having boys, Chris started to enlighten me on the ways that raising boys was going to be so very different than raising girls.  In my nuclear family, the girls outnumbered the boys (unless you counted the dogs, and even then we only had one boy dog growing up so my dear old dad was still outnumbered) so my world was devoid of the little things that raising boys introduces you to.  Chris, being one of three sons, seems to be an expert on the amount of dirt, rough housing, and general shenanigans that can occur when you have rambunctious boys.

One of Chris's favorite things to warn me about is the amount of food that boys can consume.  His favorite story to tell me is that in his house,  it was normal for them to go through three or more pizzas for dinner and then, still being hungry, to polish off the meal with a few bowls of cereal.  I don't want to say that I thought he was kidding, but it has not really occurred to me, until recently, that I may need to adjust the amount of food I make to keep my growing boys satisfied.

Last night I made hamburgers.  Up until now, I have always used a pound of beef and made 4 patties.  Ever since the boys started eating meat, I would cut one patty into strips and offer them some burger along with a sundry of veggies.  Typically they will eat one patty between the two of them, leaving one each for Chris and I and one for me for lunch the next day.  Last night I did exactly what I have always done and before I could sit down to eat my own dinner, the boys' burgers were gone.  So, I offered them some more hamburger, and by the end of the meal, they had each devoured their own burger, a large handful of sweet potato oven fries, and maybe 1/2 a cup of very very garlicky broccoli, to which they kept repeating "broccoli, broccoli" every time their plate was empty.  I was very impressed.  Note to self: cook more food.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive